We have chosen to realize solutions and applications by using Open Source technologies because community-based development and real-time communication make our products secure and persistant over a long period of time and reduce development cycles.
Advantages of the employment of Free Software and Open Source are economic efficiency, stability, security, transparancy and - most importantly - freedom: to choose a Kelyon product means to be free.
Particularly free of all costs for licences.
Our business model is based on the philosophy of Open Source Software.
An Open Source software is a computer programme provided with a license that allows whoever has the necessary competencies to improve and adapt it to his or her own demand. From the very beginning our aim has been the foundation of an expert team with professional skills and experiences related to the implementation of Open Source products and solutions.
We strongly believe in values like cooperation and sharing, which are at the foundation stone of the Open Source project. We are convinced that the application of collaboration techniques, typical to the community, could strongly contribute to a sustained enhancement of production processes of enterprises.
Kelyon actively participates in the Open Source community with its own contributions and appreciates the resourcefulness and agility that community-based software, driven by "collective intelligence", implicates.
We display respect for our customers by giving them the opportunity to see how a software solution - purchased by us- works and to learn how to improve it.
Kelyon believes in competencies and participation without tying down the customer.
Why is it worthwhile?
The Open Source software is a very worthwhile choice in terms of:
- Economic Efficiency - In many Administrations the price of the software determines a high expense. Commercial licenses influence and limit the customer's choice. By using Open Source software the customer will never lose the right to use his own programmes: if a supplier falls trough, or decides to not renovate the license, the customer could turn to another supplier in order to receive support, while keeping his own programmes.
- Security, Reliability and Transparancy - The software security increases when everyone has access to its source code. In fact, many people analyse the code of Open Source software and discover and correct problems as they come up, which is the easiest and quickest way. All of this is possible thanks to the free exchange of information. Collaborations and news exchange among intern community members keep the Open Source software evolving and updated. The result is a more stable and persistent product.
- Flexibility and Freedom - Software owners are generally only able to use applications developed by the same supplier, because suppliers make integration with different source software difficult, costly and often even impossible. Open Source software allows several products to interact together because it makes the code source available, thus having the advantage of relying on a single platform which remains free.
The collaborative process (and the standards opened for interoperability) with which the Open Source software is created, verified, improved and diffused is uniform to the one of the scientific knowledge production.
Its features, which include immediate use free from long purchasing procedures, numerous support communities, inspections, and its adaptability to different necessities, make it an ideal instrument to sustain innovation and development.
From an architectural point of view, the use of open source technologies entails the following benefits:
- the chance of realizing platforms that are completely independent of suppliers;
- transparency of architecture and of applied technologies;
- adhesion to standards by protecting investments over time;
- no barriers typically placed on evolution and change by restrictive owner licenses;
- no constrains to the freedom of choice of technologies and standards imposed by the use of commercial products, especially in relation to the future market and technological evolution.